Computer Systems Institute courses are currently online due to the coronavirus/COVID-19 pandemic. Learn more.
Winter 2022 Enrollment Now Open.

Frequently Asked Questions

For more information about ESL, Academic ESL. Skill Building, or Computer Science programs, contact a CSI International Admissions Representative today!

How can my family or friends get in the Programs at CSI?

Call one of our International Admissions Representative at 1-847-967-5030 and schedule an appointment.

How do I maintain my F-1 Student Visa?

To maintain F-1 status, students need to maintain full-time enrollment and be in good academic standing.

When will I get my placement test?

The placement test should be taken prior to enrollment to determine the appropriate course or level placement.

When do I pay my tuition?

Every student is required to pay tuition by the registration deadline. Online registration and payment are available to only returning students, new students must come register and pay on campus.

Do I have to buy new textbooks and bring them to each class?

No, students do not need to separately purchase textbooks. Textbooks are covered under the quarterly Book Fee and Supply Fee. Among many other things, the Book Fee and Supply Fee covers textbooks, computer software, and course materials.  The Book Fee and Supply Fee is charged during registration at the start of each quarter. Students are required to come prepared to each class, instructors will give you detailed information on which books must be brought to class.

What should I do if I am having personal problems which affect my study?

Contact Student Affairs Advisor at your campus who will assist you or refer you to other qualified personnel/agencies if needed.

When and how can I change the program of study?

Any time you decide to change your program of study you should contact admissions representative. You will be advised accordingly based on new program availability, your academic and financial standing, and the DHS/SEVIS regulations.

Can I leave the program early before my classes are finished?

Generally, you must complete each term that you are enrolled in. If you have a unique situation and must finish earlier but want to keep your status legal, please see your Student Affairs Advisor.

Whom can I talk to if I have questions about immigration, my documents or status?

Contact the Designated School Official (DSO) on your campus if you have questions regarding your I-20, I-94, passport, visa and legal status. Contact the Student Affairs Advisor for all other school related questions.