Dreaming of higher paying, more rewarding, and less stressful work? If you’ve felt your passion at work plateau, it might be time for a major career shakeup – after you have all of your ducks in a row, of course. These are the steps Computer Systems Institute (CSI) recommends taking to make the leap to a new career:
- Take a deep breath! This is an exciting moment in your life that will allow you to invest in yourself and your interests.
- Discover your strengths. If you know you’re ready for a change, but are overwhelmed by all of the different career paths available to you, take some time to find out what types of careers you are best suited for. Personality and career tests are very helpful in identifying the areas you excel in. Career coaches can also be an indispensable asset during this discovery phase.
- Ask to job shadow. Because changing careers has the potential to impact every corner of your life, it’s important to do your due diligence and make sure what you choose is really what you want to do. After all, it’s one thing to read about a job online, it’s a whole other thing to actually see it in action. Research local companies with roles you’re interested in and ask if you can shadow for a day – it will be telling!
- Take inventory of your skills. Believe it or not, you won’t be starting from scratch when you launch a new career. Over the course of your life, you have cultivated many soft skills that are transferable to any career, including:
– Critical thinking
– Active listening
– Judgment and decision making
– Reading comprehension
– Oral comprehension
– Deductive reasoning
– Inductive reasoning
– Problem sensitivity
- Gain the technical skills you need. With many critical soft skills already under your belt, the next step on your career change journey is gaining technical experience. This can be done by continuing your education. At CSI, we offer a diverse line-up on business, healthcare, and technology programs that combine lectures and hands-on training to prepare you for a career change. The best part? Our one-year programs are affordable, so you won’t need to break the bank to change your career. You will also receive personalized guidance from your first day on campus through program completion and beyond.
- Start the job hunt. Don’t worry – you aren’t alone in this daunting task. CSI has your back and will help you create a resume that deserves a second glance, teach you how put together an effective elevator pitch, share tips for interviewing, and much more.
Launch Your Dream Career in Just 12 Months!
It’s never too late to invest in yourself and your dreams. To find out how CSI can help make your career change aspirations a reality, contact us today.